Thursday 28 June 2012

Perfect Hypocrisy

I've always said that one of my goals was exposing the hypocrisy that infests UESP. How about this sequence?

Anon: What the FUCK useless kind of shit is that about???
Kitkat: Don't do that! Discuss on talk page
Anon: I already DID discuss on the talk page. Give me ONE FUCKING REASON why this shit should stay????
(plus more)

Meanwhile on the talk page, the anon expanded thusly:
Anon: What asshole decided that including full biographies of NPCs on place pages was a good idea?

Now.... he's right, yes? (and I'm assuming it's a "he") So admins and patrollers should step in?

No.

To cut a long story short, Krusty blocked the anon. True, he could have been more polite but he was right.

Yes.

Legoless brought it up again a couple of days later, then other editors piled on, and eventually we end up with.... this! The same version for which the anon was banned.

Well done UESP. Thank you for justifying me in my assault on your hypocisy.

6 comments:

  1. Hypocrisy? I think it just shows that impudence without authority will get you nowhere in the world. I don't personally know any person who would agree to something while being called names like the "kind anon" did. Unless they are a gutless sycophant or a prideless drone, both of which are characteristics so common they are actually worse than hypocrisy. The fact that the staff at UESP actually righted the wrong shows they still have common sense left in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hypocrisy because the anon was reverted with no good reason several times, when he was perfectly correct to do what he did. Yes, the way he did it was wrong, but all it would have taken was a "You're right, but don't talk like that here" message and this would have already been over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still edit on UESP Wiki but I have found that since Skyrim was released most people on the site have become a lot more aggressive. When I joined nearly a year ago the people on the site were a lot more friendly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Tiber, but what's the problem here? Forgive me, but I don't see anything here saying that is should be there. The way I see it, a few people pointed out the etiquette policy, Kimi agreed with the anon, and after the dust settled and everything was calmed down, they spoke seriously about what to do with the content.

    Personally, and this is my own opinion, I feel that reverting it while he was raging was proper, because it shows, in my opinion, that the staff isn't going to bend over to a rude nobody. If he felt he could act like that unpunished and get his way, what would have stopped him from making a scene on other pages?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he was going to make a scene on other pages, he would have done it. He wasn't blocked for several minutes, which gave ample time to post elsewhere.

    Anons like this tend to be fixated on one thing. They came to the site, saw something they didn't like, post about it and move on. If the change had been left in place along with a message about unacceptable edit comments (it didn't even need to be a warning) that would have been the last of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Tiber on this one.

    ReplyDelete