Friday 16 October 2009

Elliot and Redundancy

Classic post from Elliot the Thick today.

GuildKnight suggested a Novels namespace for the upcoming Elder Scrolls books. In Elliot's world, that's redundant. To keep it simple, there should be a namespace for each book.

First, he needs to read the dictionary because he obviously has no idea what the word redundant means. Here are the two relevant definitions from dictionary.com:
  • characterized by verbosity or unnecessary repetition in expressing ideas
  • characterized by superabundance or superfluity
Second, he needs to think for five minutes before posting. The reason there are separate namespaces for the games is that there are lots and lots of characters. Morrowind and Oblivion have 1000 each, and even Shadowkey, the smallest game fully documented has 68 NPCs, which is more than the whole of the Lord of the Rings with just 64. These novels are going to have maybe a dozen characters worth an article.

Third, Volanaro in Morrowind and Oblivion are two different people. Annaig in book one will be the same as Annaig in book two. No need to have two different pages. There may, however, be a need for a Lore page. Annaig's words and deeds in the books may not turn out to be the totality of his her influence on the Elder Scrolls world. If TES V refers to him her, for instance, that should go on a Lore page and not a Novels page, let along a page about The Infernal City, the novel.

Fourth, he says UESP has a namespace for each mobile game. It doesn't. Only Shadowkey has one.

Fifth, these are books, not games. In the games, you can list lots of information about a character without spoiling anything. With the novels, you're pretty much going to have to quote every damn thing they do - which is going to cause copyright problems as well as ruining the books completely.

In other words, Elliot the Stupid has fully justified his sobriquet once again.

18 comments:

  1. Been busy, so I haven't had enough time to continue writing my upcoming posts, and the Thick and the Vicious have been quiet, so there hasn't been much there either.

    Besides, doing your job of working out how the novels should go on the site took a little thought and research.

    So you've settled on Daedryon? Interesting. I assumed people would go for rpeh, Dagoth or Dr. Jones. I hadn't thought Daedryon would be the villain du jour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have, anyway, though I won't tell you how I came to that conclusion for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go on - what other names have been thrown into the ring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Annaig is the 17 year old girl, but you're calling her a male. If you plan on bashing the contributions of others, you might want to make sure your own statements are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol it is rpeh, he is just bitter because he got caught

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anon2 and everyone else; you're welcome to keep guessing but I doubt anyone will get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You still call her a "him"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're not fooling anyone! who else would be such a big tool that he goes an makes a blog talking about people that got rid of him... you're just too adorable

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't change the fact that I'm still right and you're still wrong, EtT.

    And as far as "you're not fooling anyone" is concerned, I'm either fooling RobinHood70, you, or both so you're wrong again. Please stop being so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "let along" -> "let alone", and I'm afraid you are mistaken, I'm not Elliot, I don't think that will convince you, but neither do I care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo fucking hoo - another typo on a blog. If you care that much why don't you fix the typos on UESP instead of bothering me?

    The difference is: I don't care who you are, but it seems clear that there's a big debate on #UESPWiki about who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aggressive, aren't you. I don't really give a damn who you are either, but pointing out your typos seems to push your buttons. The wiki isn't my resposibilty, and for that matter, neither is your blog. If you want to leave flaws in your monument to petty hatred, that's your choice. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it funny: the point of trolling is to produce an emotional reaction in your purported victims, but the only person who's getting emotional here is the blogger himself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I've managed to do exactly what I wanted. I've dragged out the dregs of UESP editors and have them dancing to my tunes.

    If any of you actually understood what trolling is vs genuine, helpful criticism, then your wiki would be far better than it is. Everything I have posted on this site could be used to improve your wiki, and if you choose to ignore it then that's your own decision.

    Judging from the passive-aggressive nature of one of the anons, I'm gonna say "Hi Eshe!" - but I still don't give a flying fuck whether or not I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, but "Tiber Septim" isn't me. This is me. It was a current UESP admin that told me about this blog a few days ago, and I've followed it since then.

    While I'm here, I may as well say that agree with GK (and Ratwar, Timenn and "Tiber Septim") about having a "Novels" namespace rather than one for each book.

    While I was still involved, I discussed the novels briefly with both Nephele and Ratwar (and I still have the logs - if you need me to prove I am who I say I am, I can send 'em over). At the time, we all thought a one-page-per-book-contained-in-Lore solution would be best to avoid spoilers and copyright probs. I think that would still be one solution, but the honest answer is that you need to Wait And See. And Then Think. If you plan an in-depth guide to the new novels, "Tiber Septim" has already raised some issues, and I'm sure you'll think of your own. Just be careful.

    Oh - and so far I think 50% of the two assigned nicknames are valid. I'll leave the reader to judge which 50% I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! Bow down before the Great Deceiver!

    You've been tried and convicted (in absentia, admittedly) for sock-puppetry so do you really think anybody is going to believe you? Or believe this isn't just you replying to yourself in some kind of schizophrenic outburst?

    Thank you so much for being patronising enough to agree with me though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At this point I'm going to reiterate RH70's original comment and just ask "Slow news day, Daedryon? :Þ"?

    ReplyDelete